Nestled at the foot of Ansan Mountain which is considered a natural resting area in the city, Seodaemun Museum of National History is Korea’s first natural museum, established by a public agency. Opened on July 10, 2003, it offers various opportunities for children to experience and learn about the environment in an organized way, as well as for citizens, families, and other visitors alike. Even though visitors are living in a city, the museum provides an intimate way to meet animals and plants, and to show how to preserve and love life.
Director of Seodaemun Museum of Natural History: Lee jeong-mo
Building area 1,998.84㎡
Gross area 6,949.23㎡
Main hall, Exhibition hall, Audiovisual room, Virtual experience space, Library, Seminar room, Storage, Specimen gallery, etc.
Gift shop, Junganghall coffee shop, water fountain outdoor café, take-out snack bar
Exhibition Hall Information
* Central Hall: Dinosaur bones (Acrocanthosaurus, Pteranodon) are on display and visitors may even touch T-rex and triceratops skulls.
* Earth Environment Hall (3F): movies on the birth of the Earth and volcano eruptions. Earth Environment Hall is the starting point of the museum tour and includes videos, graphs, models, and samples of minerals and rocks to explain the birth of the Earth, the Earth’s internal & external structure, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, rocks & minerals, and the caves of the Korean Peninsula.
* Evolution Hall (2F): Various fossils and bones of dinosaurs and whales show the history and evolution of life. On display are fossils by era, bones from Mesozoic dinosaurs and ancient whales, diverse representations of mammals and birds, and samples of insects and fish.
* Human and Nature Hall (1F): Explores the complicated relationship between humans and nature: contrasts and weighs the benefits that nature provides humans and the damage humans inflict on nature.
The museum also includes a souvenir shop where dinosaur figurines and dino egg replicas are on sale.
*Exibition details are subject to change.
Admission / Participation Fees
Individuals – Adults 6,000 won / Teenagers 3,000 won / Children 2,000 won
Groups – Adults 4,800 won / Teenagers 2,400 won / Children 1,600 won
* Group : 20 or more people
* Free admission for visitors with a disability (+1 companion), seniors over the age of 65, and children under the age of 5
Credit Cards Accepted
47 spaces available
2,000 won for the first 2 hours
500 won for each additional 10 min.