Bongeunsa Temple, located on Sudosan Mountain in Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, offers a 2-day, 1-night temple stay program designed to provide urbanites with an opportunity to take a break from their busy routines and meditate on Buddhist teachings. Every Thursday, the temple also holds ‘Thursday Temple Life’ for foreign visitors only. The temple has a volunteer group to help and accommodate the needs of foreigners attending the program.
Seollal (Lunar New Year), Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving)
- The 2 days, 1 night program begins at 14:00 on the first day and ends at 09:30 on the second day.
- Participants: groups of 10-30 people
- Fees: 70,000 won per person
- Features: Temple Tour, Tea Ceremony (Da-do), Baru Gongyang (formal monastic meal), yebul (the Buddhist ceremony), making prayer beads, meditation, conversation with a monk over tea, 108 prostrations
- Notices: Please wear socks and do not wear sleeveless tops or shorts when visiting the temple during the summer season.
[Thursday Temple Life (for foreigners only)]
- Period: Every Thursday / January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012
- Time: 14:00-16:30
- Registration: On-site registration is available at the Foreigners’ Information Center.
- Fees: 20,000 won per person
[Group Temple Life]
- Period: January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012
- Duration: 1 day
- Participants: groups of at least 5 people (Groups of 30 or more people will be divided into smaller groups).
First 30 minutes: Free
Each additional hour: 30,000 won
All-day: 20,000 won
Interpretation Services Offered
English, Japanese, Chinese